Those that know me well, know that I don’t often talk about my years owning Gelpia’z Restaurant. It’s in the past now and I’ve consciously left it there. I’ve always felt that in order to achieve your current dreams and aspirations, you have to take the lessons learned, the mistakes made and apply both to your current projects.
So… I rarely dive back into the memories of Gelpia’z successful years. Today, however, as Ty Ray has encouraged me to dust off my cookbook, it was a no-brainer that the Crab and Wild Mushroom Cheesecake had to be one of the first recipes I posted.
Since ending my days as a restauranteur, I’ve been asked for many recipes but, no recipe has been requested more than the Crab Cheesecake.
During our heyday, Gelpia’z culinary team pumped out between 150-200 Crab Cheesecakes per week. It was, without question, the biggest selling appetizer on our menu. The cheese cakes combination of smokey flavors, courtesy of the smoked Gouda cheese, earthy mushrooms and savory, smooth cheeses made for the perfectly, palatable delight. Throw in a nice, light Sauvignon Blanc or Fume Blanc and your evening is set.
Though the cheesecake fell under the appetizer section of Gelpia’z menu, it’s a large portion, that feeds about four. If you’d like to offer this as an hors d’oeuvre, simply cut down the portions and load into a mini cupcake pan, lined w non-stick cupcake papers.
As always, any questions, suggestions, comments, hit up my mailbag and I’ll answer you personally. Mailbag: firstname.lastname@example.org
Crab & Wild Mushroom Cheesecake (10)
- 2 Cups Fresh Bread Crumbs
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan (3 oz.)
- ¼ Cup # Butter, melted
- 1 T Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Onion (small, diced)
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Cup Red Pepper (small, diced)
- 4 Cups Assorted Wild Mushrooms
- 2 # Cream Cheese (room temp)
- 4 Large Eggs
- ½ Cup Whipping cream
- 12 Oz. Crabmeat
- 4 Oz. Smoked Gouda (grated)
- ½ Cup Chopped Parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix crust ingredients and press into bottom of greased spring forms.
3. Sauté in oil, garlic, pepper & mushrooms. Set aside to cool.
4. Beat cream cheese, salt & pepper until fluffy.
5. Beat in 1 egg at a time, then whipping cream.
6. Mix in vegetable mixture, crab, cheese and chopped parsley.
7. Pour filling over crust.
8. Bake until cake puffs and browns on top (about 1 hour).
Serve with Baguette slices.
Salt & Pepper