FOR THE FULL, UNEDITED, (PREMIUM) VIDEO VERSION OF THIS EPISODE, CLICK HERE
COOKBOOK #8: Chef Barret Beyer
The “Virtual Kitchen” is proud to welcome Hell’s Kitchen participant (season 11), and podcaster, Chef Barret Beyer to Beats & Eats for this week’s Celebrity Chef Cookbook Series. Chef Barret and Nick talk about his restaurant experiences, the future of the celebrity chef, and his recipes entry.
PREMIUM VIDEO VERSION OF TODAY’S EPISODE
- Check out the Beats & Eats Celebrity Cookbook Series
- Subscribe to Beats & Eats on iTunes | Stitcher | Download FREE Mobile APP
- HELP B&E – Take our Audience Survey
- Sign up for the B&E E-Blast & receive recipes in your inbox
- Follow B&E on Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Virtual Lounge Discussion Group
- Follow Nick Gelso on Twitter | Facebook | Pinterest | Google+
- Follow Ty Ray on Twitter
- Follow Chef Barret Beyer on Facebook | Twitter
- Follow Chef Barret Podcast on Facebook | Twitter | Facebook Fan Page
- Donate to Chef Barret’s Charity/Food Truck Project here
- Follow Cork Bar & Restaurant on Facebook | Official Website
COOKBOOK #8: Chef Barret Beyer RECIPE:
- 6-8 oz Petite Filet (or Hanger Steak)
- 4oz Espresso Beans
- 3oz Cajun Seasoning
- 1-2 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flake
- 1 ½ Cups Arborio Rice
- ¼ Cup Tollhouse White Chocolate Chips
- 2 Quarts Heavy Cream
- ½ Cup Port Wine
- ¼ Cup Sweet Cherries (fresh)
- 2 Tbs Grape Seed Oil
- 1 Cup Water
In a medium pot bring to boil 1 quart Heavy Cream and 2 cups Water and add Risotto let boil and stir frequently for approx 20 minutes or until approx 80% cooked through. Strain Risotto and spread it onto a sheet pan to cool down. Set aside until Filet is finished cooking and resting.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a spice grinder add Espresso Beans, Chili Flake & Cajun seasoning and grind ingredients together until very fine and well incorporated together. Apply rub to Steak rubbing into the meat. Put a medium pan on high heat and once pan is hot add Oil. Once your oil is hot add Filet to pan and give it a hard sear on all sides for approximately 1 ½ minutes (make sure your Filet sizzles when adding it to pan to achieve maximum sear). Once Filet is seared on all sides put it on a sheet tray and in the oven. Once Steak is at desired temperature pull out of oven and let it rest on a resting rack or plate (please see notes at bottom for *Temperature Guidelines). Return the pan used for searing steak to stovetop and deglaze the pan with your Port Wine.
Half your Cherries and remove the pits and add to pan sauce and let it reduce to 1/3 and set aside. Bring another sauté pan to medium-high heat, add desired amount of Risotto and approximately ¼ Cup of Heavy Cream and let reduce (approx 5 min) consistently stirring so it doesn’t stick to pan.
Once Risotto is at desired texture add your White Chocolate 1/3 rd at a time until you have reached your desired taste. Once Steak has rested fully (approx 5-6 minutes) cut it on a bias against the grain 1-2” thick. Bring you Pan Sauce up to temperature. Spoon Risotto onto middle of plate and fan out your steak across bottom of Risotto and spoon Pan Sauce along bottom of Steak.
*Note: all temperatures will vary depending on thickness of steak. The average temp times are as follows: Rare- 5-6 min || Med Rare- 8-10 min || Med 10-12 min || Med Well 13-15 min